Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Pre-Intro: Are you leaving?? No, I'm not

I missed my plane flight out of SLC to JFK to India. The month leading up to this trip was packed full of everything but lunches. I wrapped up 5 years of undergraduate work, 3 years of cancer research, sent lab equipment and, more importantly, data, to Toronto, squished in medical school paperwork, emergency root canal, and India pre-departure tasks up until my pseudo last night in SLC. So when I realized my plane had taken off without me, I felt stunned, then calm and strangely anti-climatic.

I really needed to miss that plane flight, though. If I was coming to India for two months, I couldn’t leave my brain in Utah. I needed to be mentally prepared to leave, be focused, to learn and to work in India if I was going get the best of this tremendous experience. The day I was supposed to be sleeping on Air India was the best day I spent in SLC in two months.

No comments: